Do you dream of floors? Beautiful, low-maintenance floors that people will oohhh and ahhh over? Okay, maybe not, but whether we realize it or not, floors are a big part of our everyday life. In fact, chances are your feet are on one right now or will soon be! So why are we seeing more and more polished concrete floors in the flooring industry whether it's commercial, residential or even industrial? Concrete is trendy and chic right now due to its amazing look and myriad of aesthetic options. That's why many architects and interior designers are beginning to go to polished concrete more and more. However, there are many other benefits that facilities managers and others are realizing, because of its simplicity and endless design options whether you're using color or staining to look like wood or marble. You can even trowel-cut patterns in the floor to create custom designs.
What's clear is, it doesn't seem like the concrete flooring trend is going to go away anytime soon. According to the US Concrete Floor Coatings & Concrete Floor Market Size Report, 2018 – 2025, the concrete floor coatings marketing was valued at $646 million in 2016 and rising demand is projected to be favorable. In fact polished concrete floors accounted for 54% of the US marketing share in 2016, and are expected to account for 47% of the US marketing b y the end of 2025.
It seems like concrete polishing is going to stay around for the foreseeable future. Since we know you've been dreaming about the perfect floor, here are some things you need to know:
What is a polished concrete floor?
It's a floor that's been treated with a chemical densifier to fill in the pores and holes. After this is done, the floor is ground down. As the grit increases, the fineness increases making it smoother. Lastly ,the floor is polished to get a shiny, beautiful surface.
Why is it so sought-after?
- It's green: It's sustainable and durable with many eco-friendly features. By polishing existing concrete, you're saving energy and eliminating materials like tiles, hardwood, and even carpeting.
- It's modern: It has a minimalistic, industrial feel/vibe. The clean, simple surface looks great in any space so it's very versatile for designers.
- It's simple: Maintenance is simple once the floor is polished and sealed. It really just needs mopped once a week. That's it. And, it's great for allergies, because it reduces allergens.
- It's resistant: They maintain a pristine look for years to come. It's also highly resistent to chemical or water damage
- It's beautiful: As noted above, the design options are endless with color variations and even trowel-cut patterns.
As you can see from the many attributes above, concrete polishing doesn't appear to be a passing fad. In fact, we're seeing it more and more on the job sites we visit every day. If you'd like to learn more about if polished concrete is right for you, click below.